The Details: Cooking Classes (and More!) in Spain
Now that you’re convinced that your vacation won’t be complete without visiting us, let’s dig into the details — The What, Where, and When.
The What – Custom cooking classes
All of our cooking and wine experiences in Spain are tailor-made just for you.
You´ll be greeted at our chef’s home (2 minutes from the beach), or an alternate location, or we´ll even come to your place near Dénia. You´ll help choose the menu in advance, taking into account any special dietary needs you or someone in your group may have.
We´ll provide everything — fresh, local ingredients, hands-on instruction in making authentic family recipes. You’ll enjoy a long, lazy afternoon sipping wine, beer, or your beverage of choice, hanging out with English- speaking Spaniards, and eating the wonderful food you just helped prepare.
Options include a visit to local markets, or we’ll take you to do some sightseeing of our beautiful fishing village. Visit a family-owned bodega (winery) to taste delicious local wines, or we’ll customize another activity just for you.
“Thank you so much for such a fabulous time yesterday! Geoff and I learned a lot and we all had so much fun! This was the best meal we’ve had so far in Spain. We will do this again!!” Chrystal Palaty, Canada
If you love the good life, and you know that means great food, terrific wine, and the perfect people to share it with, then come and play with us.
- Simple, repeatable skills to return home and reproduce the incredible family dishes you’ll eat
- Tips and techniques for how Spaniards entertain, without working themselves into the ground. Simple tapas and ideas to throw the best parties ever — whether its dinner for 2, or tapas for 40
- Simple ways to pair food and wine and wow your friends!
- Ideas for living a little more Spanish a little more relaxed, a lot more appreciative of the really important stuff (like what’s for dessert!)
“We just wanted to say big thank you for the lovely day. We enjoyed it a lot. All day was worth it, from morning till late night, the time went so quick, because we enjoyed it.” Edita and Steve
It’s all about the experience, the joy, the alegría of living like a Spaniard. So scroll on up there to the top and subscribe to the blog now!
The Where – Dénia, Alicante, Spain
We’re guessing you’re not the sit-in-the-tour-bus type. Right? You like to meet people, learn about the culture. Wait. No, not just learn, but experience the culture. You get goosebumps when you learn something new. And you know there’s nothing like hearing the real stories of the local people, to begin to understand another culture. Like how the winemakers grandfather used to put an extra, small barrel of wine on the cart for the drivers, so that the good stuff would actually make it to market!
If you know anything about Spanish wines, you know of Rioja, Ribera del Duero, and probably a few of the other northern regions. But did you know that the Alicante area has also garnered significant recognition as an up-and-coming Spanish wine region?
Although Dénia isn´t located in the heart of the wine-producing part of Alicante, it hides a few real gems. If you’re a wine lover we’ll share with you some local options for wineries we can take you to visit. Including one that was commissioned to produce the desert wine for the most recent royal wedding! (No joke!)
But wine is not all that the area around Dénia has to offer. There is Spain’s most famous dish — Paella — born in Valencia, just a short hop away. And then there’s the largest olive oil producer in Spain. And specialty cured meat producers. And Turron, the most famous candy of Spain. And then there’s the chocolate…
And an added bonus — this region is home to some of the best festivals in the world!
Come and join us, and let us share this incredible treasure with you. We’ll customize your time with us to suit your particular preferences. Or if you’d like to take advantage of our 20 + years living part-time in Spain, we’ll help you at any level you like. We’ll customize a trip for you at any level you like — from simply sharing our preferred sites and things to experience, all the way to a fully customized, guided tour.
Sample itinerary for 1 or 2 Day Wine and Food Adventures in Denia, Alicante, Spain
Spend 1 or 2 days with us in beautiful Denia, Alicante, Spain. We’ll custom create a food and wine adventure just for you and your family or friends. You’ll choose from:
- Market visit to learn about local ingredients you’ll use that day
- Winery visit to learn how unique local wines are made, using nearly-lost wine making techniques, and wine tasting
- Hands-on cooking classes with a local chef who will teach you how to wow your friends at home with incredible local Mediterranean dishes, including tapas, authentic paella, or other versions of Spanish rice, or whatever local menu you prefer
- Learn the basics of how to pair food and wine to create an unforgettable meal
- Full Spanish lunch with the food you’ve helped prepare, drinks and desert included
- If you’d like to brush up your Spanish, or learn a few words, this is your chance
- Our digital cookbook with recipes you’ve prepared, plus many more. Includes a Spanish wine primer.
Other options include:
- Accompanied tours of other sites that may interest you in the area, such as archaeological sites, special restaurants, etc.
- Additional winery tours and tastings
- If you’re staying in nearby Alicante or Valencia and would like to stay over in Dénia, we can help with accommodations and transportation
Whats Not Included:
- Airport transfers (we’ll give you recommendations)
- Hotel (we’ll make some recommendations)
- Travel Insurance
- Transportation from your location to class — Arrangements are available by request, for an extra fee
Whether you’ve been to Spain a dozen times, or want to go for the first time, you’ll have an unforgettable experience when you allow us to give you an insider’s peek at the real Spain.
The When – Whenever YOU like!
When you’re ready to plan your trip to Spain, email us and let us know your plans. We can do everything from host you for a simple cooking class, to a fully customized day or two of local activities. And if you’d like a Spanish expert to help you plan your trip, we’ll connect you with our friend and colleague, Sali Gutierrez, who is a Spanish travel guide, and can help you plan your entire trip.
Custom Spanish food and wine experiences are available by appointment, for 2 to 12 people. Accommodations for larger groups can be made upon request.
Recommended Dates to visit Spain:
There’s a saying, “Spain has more festivals than any other country in the world – and Dénia has more festivals than anyplace in Spain.”
We’re not sure that’s true, but it sure seems like it! Spain is famous for its festivals. In this region, from Valencia, down through Alicante and continuing into the south, you can experience some of the most spectacular festivals in the world.
Las Fallas, Semana Santa (Holy Week), Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians) and La Feria de Caballo (The Horse Festival) are all unique and breathtaking in very different ways. We highly recommend that you plan your trip to Spain around one of these (or one of the many other) incredible festivals.
As a general guideline, we recommend spring, early summer, and fall. August is when all of Europe is on vacation, which means a lot of the best restaurants and sights are shut down Oh!, and its usually very hot in July, August, and early September. So plan carefully to get the most from your trip.
What are you waiting for? Let’s go!
Contact us now to get all your questions answered, and to book: Denise[at]SpanishSunday.com