[Monthly Longmont Cooking Club — Signup for notifications below!]
The Spanish Sunday Cooking Club
Growing up in a tiny Texas town had its benefits. We lived in a neighborhood where there were 26 kids in one half of the block. Nope, I couldn’t make that up if I tried. Twenty. Six. Kids.
And with that huge tribe of kids came a natural kind of community.
We came up with an incredible array of creative activities. Our poor parents sat through hours of neighborhood talent shows and they lost countless bed sheets to the construction of homemade covered wagons, teepees, and costumes. Of course none of our activities were complete without cookies, cupcakes, and kool-aid. (I never said it was healthy — although it was all homemade and dee-licious).
We quickly learned that together, we could do anything.
We transformed ourselves into cowboys and indians, or circus performers, or secret agents. We formed sports teams and chess clubs. We even created businesses to sell lemonade or baked goods. Somehow, there was always food involved. Those group activities gave all of us (including our parents) a sense of belonging.
Sadly, that sense of being part of a community — a real, live, face-to-face community — seems to be slipping away from us. At least in the U.S.
So what can we do to rekindle community and connection?
What better way to bring people together than with great food? We all gotta eat, right? So why not make it fun, and productive at the same time. We’ll have regularly-scheduled gatherings to cook and eat together. Or sometimes we’ll do some batch cooking. Or we’ll learn new things, like maybe a cheesemaking session, or sausage making, or we’ll learn to bake bread together.
Interested in Joining the Club? Here’s how it works:
We know you’re busy, but you still want to find time to enjoy cooking — and even better if you can cook with others and learn some new tricks, right? So the structure of the Club will give you the flexibility you need. No dues, no mandatory meetings. No officers or committees. Just cooking fun!
Each month we’ll schedule at least one Club gathering (and sometimes more). We’ll determine the cost of each gathering based on the cost of ingredients and the complexity of the food preparation. We’ll use local, organic ingredients whenever possible.
How do I participate?
- Complete the short form below to let us know that you want to be on the Spanish Sunday Cooking Club (specific) email list. We want to respect your email privacy, so we will NOT send Club email to everyone on our email list — only those who request it.
- NO dues — NO obligation — NO fees unless you register for a gathering! Typical Club event is around $15 per person, plus bring a drink to share.
- Each month you’ll receive a short list of the upcoming dates, times, and themes of Club get-togethers, so you can calendar any dates you’d like to attend.
- Then about 1 to 2 weeks before the next event, you’ll receive an invitation / payment link. NOTE: These sell out fast, so sign up early!
- Click the link in the email to sign up and pay in advance for the upcoming gathering. Most gatherings will be limited to 10 – 12 participants, so advance registration will be important.
- When you register you’ll receive a confirmation, with the location information, and you’ll get a reminder the day before.
This Club is TONS ‘O FUN — so get on the list, and join us!